After an extensive search a suitable instrument was identified in St Mary's Parish Church, Hailsham, in East Sussex. Following a survey and the submission of a proposal from Malton Methodist Church to the Hailsham PCC, the Malton proposal was accepted, against a number of competing bids for the instrument from overseas.

The work of Forster & Andrews was built to endure and such instruments during the late 19th Century were produced during a period of prolific activity by the Hull firm. Forster & Andrews was considered to be one of the great northern organ builders, which between 1843 and 1956 built more than 1,300 instruments for predominantly Anglican churches and cathedrals, Methodist Central Halls and churches, other free churches, and town halls throughout the United Kingdom. It also built instruments for churches overseas including in Australia, Africa, Newfoundland, and Central and South America. Some of the firm’s most famous work included installations in the City Temple Church London, and in Hull itself, including the organs of Holy Trinity, City Hall, and the former Queen’s Hall Methodist Church in Hull.

The Forster & Andrews organ, opus number 728, is significant for other reasons. In 1876/77, the new Concert Hall in Upper Norwood had been largely funded by its President, the Duke of Westminster and other benefactors including William Henry Smith, a trustee of the Royal College – the founder and magnet of the bookseller and newsagent group, WHSmith. The Gardner Concert Hall was opened by Princess Louise, Duchess of Argyle – the fourth daughter of Queen Victoria, the College Patron. The Patron today is HRH The Prince of Wales.

This wonderful instrument is being restored by Henry Willis & Sons Ltd., one of the oldest and most famous organ building companies active in the world today, having been in continuous operation since 1845 and with an Opus list of over 2,500 organs up to the present day. From its own staff Henry Willis & Sons draws on an enormous experience in the craft and the Company's Head Office premises in central Liverpool are equipped for organ-building on the grandest scale.

Hear the instrument being played by Gerard Brooks before it was removed from Hailsham Parish Church - Hornpipe from Handel's Water Music