Year

What?

1811

1,000 seat Chapel and two adjoining houses for ministers completed; designed by Revd. William Jenkins, Architect 

1851

First pipe organ installed 

1862

Renovations undertaken to the stonework frontage and roof

1866

Ground floor benches removed and re-seated with pitch-pine pews to match gallery; staircases to gallery enclosed, and a stained glass screen erected in the entrance vestibule

1874

Malton Wesleyan School opened by John W Ryden, certificated probationer

1882

Replacement 3-manual pipe organ installed by Harrison & Harrison at a cost of £384.7.3d.

1901

John Wills Architects propose further renewal of ground floor seating

1949

New building revisions proposed by Guy Channon Architects, Leeds

1950

The pulpit was lowered as the gallery was no longer used

1952

Further significant changes made to the Choir Stalls and the first two rows of pews removed

1961

Building considered too large for current purpose; decision made to sell the Church

1962

Designs produced by J C Prestwich Architects, Wigan, for new Methodist Church in Malton

1964

Planning approval granted by North Riding of Yorkshire County Council for “the erection of shops, offices or residential flats” on Saville Street Church site

1964

Interest received from Marks & Spencer for the Saville Street site

1965

Freehold site of Saville Street Church offered for sale at public auction by Warmington & Co

1966

Designs by B W Blanchard Architects, Hull, for new Methodist Church in Greengate, Malton

1966

New Church proposal in Greengate abandoned; demolition of current building proposed and plans produced by Anthony Short Architects, Derby, for smaller Church on Saville Street site

1969

Significant amounts of dry rot discovered in the gallery

1970

Demolition plan abandoned; rigid plastic canopy erected over the ground floor sanctuary, eliminating drafts and reducing heating bills as gallery unused since 1950

1974

First historic listing entry

1976

Church listed by DoE as a “Building of Special Architectural or Historic Interest”

1993

Building too large and inflexible for current purposes and new decision made to sell the site

1993

Methodist Property Division gives approval for the sale of the Chapel and school buildings

1994

Tenders invited for sale of Saville Street Chapel; sale not achieved

1994

Revd Mike Smith arrives in Malton and conducts a new review of options; decision made to undertake “substantial alterations to meet the changing needs of the present day”

1995

Secretary of State amends listing from Grade II to Grade II*, hampering scope for change

1995

Initial schedule of proposed works by Peter M McMulkin, Filey, to remove gallery canopy,  demolish the rear buildings, remove the historic organ and to carry out renovations

1996

Permissions in place to start works but prevarication and compromises imposed by English Heritage delay start; English Heritage suggests removal of Victorian lobby wall

1997

Ryedale District Council (RDC) approves demolition of three-storey rear annex

1997

Planning Consent granted by RDC for construction of new single storey extension

1998

Work starts on £370k renovation scheme: rigid canopy removed, gallery reinstated, rear annex demolished, pipe organ removed, 3 rows of ground floor pews removed, new glazed screen added on ground floor; kitchenette, vestry and 2 X Church offices added, and new single storey building erected to the rear, with kitchen, WCs, and a meeting room

1999

Church reopens on 21 August, the date of the original opening of the building in 1811

2015

Quinquennial Report first identifies significant structural failure with the main roof

2015

Paul Emberley produces a new vision, based around a growing outreach opportunity in Malton and a dearth of community space in the town

2015

Church Council unanimously decides to explore a new scheme to transform the Church, ensuring its financial sustainability for the future

2016

Project group established to explore a new transformational development scheme

2016

Conservation architects PPIY Ltd of York invited to conduct a feasibility study

2016

Representatives from the community form a working group to review specific needs; Action Planning commissioned to conduct an extensive community audit, survey, and report

2016

PPIY deliver feasibility study and options for the re-development of the building

2016

Public consultation and with community and amenity groups

2017

Review of further options considered, and a preferred scheme devised

2017

Listed Building Advisory Committee (LBAC) of Methodist Church approves principles of a revised scheme

2017

Andrew Hayden appointed as independent organ adviser; suitable redundant organ identified

2017

Church appoints CaVCA as its fundraising partner

2017

Church Council agrees to appoint Henry Willis & Sons Ltd for the £226,500 restoration of the historic Forster & Andrews pipe organ

2018

LBAC supports final scheme plans in April; design details delegated to Methodist Church Conservation Officer

2018

Contractors start work on the roof repair, completing at the end of May 

2018

Building re-opens for visitors and special events from 4 June

2018

Fundraising Patron Selina Scott launches appeal, mid-June 

2018

Q3-Q4, refurbishment of North Wing for 2nd floor occupancy by Malton Town Council 

2019

Building planned for temporary closure again for 14 month major re-development from Q2  

2020

Estimated completion and re-opening of the Wesley Centre, by Q3